Unity to Unreal
After some investigation and testing we have decided to switch the development of Deep Inertia from Unity to Unreal. The main reason for the switch was the ease of use and the quality of product that we could produce. We had been finding it difficult and overly complicated to produce the elements we wanted for the game in Unity. As a group we were looking for simplicity since we are relative noobs at game dev. For us it was the right time to shift before we got too deep into using Unity. This has also helped with the various modellers and artists that we have been working with as they use predominantly Unreal and Unreal related tools.
Be sure to follow along as we grow and learn with the new tool.
Art Bible – trust the process
After our failed success at PAX Aus we realised that we hadn't fully considered the art and style concept for the game. We each had an idea for what we were trying to achieve without the shared understanding of what that was. Imagine we were all thinking about shapes but they were either triangles, circles or squares. To build this shared identity for our game we decided to make an Art Bible. To do this we enlisted a new member, Josh, who had done this several times as a part of his studies at the Academy of Interactive Entertainment where he is studying game art.
To do the Art Bible we used the resource here: Kshiraj Telang - Art Bible
There are 10 parts/stages to this process. They are:
Level of detail
Texture & Surface
For each of these we discussed what it meant for us and the aspects to the game we wanted. We recorded these conversations on numerous sticky-notes and printed out reference material to help the discussions.
We started with the Mood Board and references...
Then we did the art style and colour palette...
Then we did character art, environment art and level of detail...
Then we finished with camera, user interface and technical guidelines...
The texture and surfaces we included in several of the other parts.
In doing so we built a shared understanding in the group of the look and feel of our game. Besides taking a lot of photos we also transformed all this detail into a simple slide show that we can share with any new team members as they join us. This has already been really useful working with freelancers.
Now at a glance we can align to what we are trying to achieve and build our game!
With our game art and style in-hand we have been developing concept art for the various scenes. Working with Fornal from Fiverr.com we have produced a number of one off artworks which you can find on our website. Here is an example:
Also if you missed it on our socials, we are currently making a comic book! This comic is to help us storyboard our game and give us more concept art. Follow us on the numerous platforms to see sneak peaks on the progress.
Till next time.